- Plan your meals ahead when possible.
- Eat slowly.
- Begin an exercise programme.
- Decrease your caloric intake if it exceeds your output.
- Keep a food diary to gain an awareness of your habits.
- Check to see if you are eating a variety of foods.
- Make changes gradually.
- Identify foods linked with health problems.
- When cooking, trim fat from meat and broil or roast instead of frying. Blanch or steam vegetables instead of sauteing them and season them with herbs, spices or lemon instead of salt and butter.
- Stir-fry when possible, as it requires less oil.
- Use berries on pancakes and cereals instead of sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth and to increase fibre.
- Decrease barbecuing, grilling, and smoking because of the possibility of carcinogenic (cancer-causing) agents from entering the food. Wrap foods in foil if you do so.
- Eat green leafy vegetables at the beginning of your meal. These harder-to-chew foods which take longer to eat, are low in calories, and high in calcium, iron and vitamin C, which all combine to facilitate the absorption of minerals.
- Always read the labels on the tins, cans or bottles; be aware of what you are eating.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Be sure to see your doctor and a dietitian about special diets.
- Work with a positive attitude about food and eating habits.
HEALTHY EATING ASSESSMENT
- The quantity of food I eat at each meal is adequate to my body's needs.
- I always eat breakfast.
- I eat fresh fruit at least once a day.
- My diet is low in cholesterol and saturated fat.
- I eat fresh vegetables at least twice a day.
- I do not add salt to my food.
- I eat wholegrain products at least once a day.
- I avoid deep-fried foods.
- I have 1-2 tablespoons of polyunsaturated fats in my diet daily.
- The dairy products I consume are made of skimmed milk.
|| TABLE # 3: COUNTING CALORIES
Bacon (1 slice) 100
Baked ham (3 ounces) 245
Hamburger, broiled (3 ounces) 245
Lamb chop, broiled (3 ounces) 300
Pork chop, broiled (3 ounces) 320
Spare ribs (6 medium) 245
T-bone steak, broiled (3 ounces) 400
FISH AND SEAFOOD
Fish sticks (2) 80
Salmon, canned (3 ounces) 120
Shrimp, canned (3 ounces) 100
Tuna, water packed (3 ounces) 110
Chicken breast, broiled (3 ounces) 100
Chicken drumstick, broiled (3 ounces) 110
Turkey (3 ounces) 110
CHEESE AND EGGS
Cheddar (1" cube) 70
Cottage cheese (1/2 cup) 120
Egg (1 large) 80
Fried or scrambled egg 110
Omelette (2 eggs) 215
Asparagus (1/2 cup) 20
Beetroot (1/2 cup) 30
Broccoli (1/2 cup) 20
Cabbage (1/2 cup) 20
Carrot (1/2 cup) 30
Cauliflower (1/2 cup) 10
Celery (1 stalk) 5
Com (5-inch ear) 70
Green beans (1/2 cup) 20
Lettuce, iceberg (1/4 head) 15
Peas (1/2 cup) 60
Potatoes, baked (medium) 90
Potatoes, French-fried (10 fries) 155
Potatoes, mashed, milk, butter (1/2 cup) 95
Spinach (1/2 cup) 20
Tomato (1 small) 30
Grape fruit (half) 60
BREADS AND CEREALS
Biscuit (1 medium) 140
Cream cracker (1 medium) 30
Oatmeal, cooked (1/2 cup) 65
Sweet roll 135
White, whole wheat, raisin/rye bread (1 slice) 60
Whole wheat flake cereal (1 cup) 101
Brownie (2-inch square) 145
Cake, angel food, unfrosted 110
Cake, chocolate, with chocolate frosting 445
Cookie (3-inch) 120
Gelatin, flavored (1/2 cup) 70
Ice cream (1/2 cup) 140
Ice milk (1/2 cup) 140
Pie, apple (1 slice) 345
Pie, lemon meringue (1 slice) 305
Pie, pecan (1 slice) 500
Sherbet (1/2 cup) 130
Chocolate malted milk 500
Cola (8 ounces) 95
Lemonade (8 ounces) 110
Milk, skim (8 ounces) 90
Milk, 2% (8 ounces) 140
Milk, whole (8 ounces) 160
Orange juice (4 ounces) 55
Tomato juice (4 ounces) 20
Wine, dry (3 ounces) 65-95